IWSG: Write it out!


The Insecure Writers Support Group is brought to you by founder Alex J Cavanaugh. This month Alex has the help of these co-hosts: Dolorah @ Book Lover, Christopher D. Votey, Tanya Miranda, and Chemist Ken! I hope you’ll go visit them. Sign up here at the IWSG website to join in.

Questions of the month, if bloggers wished to use them, are: How do major life events affect your writing? Has writing ever helped you through something?

Major life events! (Big sigh.) There are good ones and then the bad, but do I stay creative (writing) during life events?

Mostly.

I’ve shared before how writing seems to be my constant. I write every day, but what happens when I feel like this:

A couple of Sundays ago, during my drive to church, I had a revelation. It had been a long time, and maybe the first time ever, that all major components of my life sucked at the same time.

I’ve had a good life, okay? Don’t hate me!

One could argue that it was bound to happen. But when significant parts of your life stampede towards the cliff's edge, then what? That Sunday, I had definite God moments.

In the car, on the radio a song with a lyric, “You say I am loved when I can’t feel a thing.” (You Say by Lauren Daigle)

On the radio someone stated, “When something bad happens, do something. Don’t just sit there, do something.”

And at church, the first question presented by the pastor was,” Where do you find hope?”

I’ll spare you the details, but all of these tie into my life right now and my feelings. Of course, I find my hope in God or I wouldn’t seek Him, but writing is my rescue, too.

I write when my life isn’t peachy. I write to record awesome events. When I don’t recognize my life as my own, I could binge eat Circus Peanuts (it's been done) or drink myself silly (it's difficult to get silly on water), but instead I write it out! For me, writing might mean that I’m releasing a story from my brain or it could be that I’m writing down my frustrations or fears in journal form.

Either way, I must write! I recommend it.

T.



Comments

Lovely to hear that you turn frustrations/fears into positives.
Sometimes life can attack from all fronts. We just have to weather it, beat it and turn it into great stories. Happy IWSG day!

Ronel visiting on Insecure Writer's Support Group day: Course Correction
You have such great coping skills for rough times!
Binge writing is healthier than all those peanuts anyway.
Jemi Fraser said…
Definitely a great way to deal with life's stresses. Sending you hugs & hopes that things improve on all fronts!!
A. B. Keuser said…
Writing is so therapeutic when we need it to be. I hope things get better, fast!
Crystal Collier said…
Agreed! Writing, particularly journaling through tough times has saved me. Wishing you peace and an increase of cheese!
cleemckenzie said…
It's hard when one thing goes belly-up in you life, but a lot do at the same time, it's darned hard to keep trudging forward. Here's to a turnaround in all aspect and to the continued joy of writing.
So true. Writing is in many ways a saving grace since I was young and continues to be so. Awesome for those God moments, or universe moments, when it's trying to tell us something. :)
emaginette said…
True. Church and God can be a comfort.
Carol Kilgore said…
I've been trying for most of my life to journal and so far I'm still unsuccessful. All that happens is I curate notebooks of blank pages. I admire all who can journal. It's much easier for me to make up people and release some of my thoughts through them.
Suzanne Furness said…
Journaling and writing in general can be a great release can't it? Best wishes.
Pat Hatt said…
writing away sure is way better than getting super drunk haha things sure have a way of piling up.
Hi Teresa - yes I rather feel like you ... but ten+ years is enough ... I say enuff ... so perhaps this post has helped me make a decision ... do, roll over and move on. Thankfully my blogging keeps me sane and positive in the light of darkness ... take care and all the best - cheers Hilary
well written article.
thank you for sharing
I heard once that when you're happy, you know all the words to songs on the radio. When you're sad or unhappy, you know what the words mean. Glad you found comfort from many sources.
dolorah said…
There you go! And nobody should apologize for having a good life. I don't think its necessary to consistently have crisis.
Elizabeth said…
Great recommendation, and I thoroughly agree! I also understand everything sucking at once, because my life feels that way quite often. I am glad that I can turn to God in prayer during those rough times.
Anonymous said…
Life does like to throw multiple curveballs and then laugh as you try to catch them all. What gets me through moments like that is knowing it won't last and I'm strong enough to survive.
Chrys Fey said…
Getting signs like that when we need it is truly magical. I'm glad you received what you needed.
I miss circus peanuts. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing. The almost marshmallowy orange candy that looks like a giant peanut? I binge eat peanut M&Ms. Well, I did before I cut out all that sugar.
Arlee Bird said…
I can relate well to your post as I've been in a similar state of mind of late. Your "God" moments are very cool. I'm strengthened by my faith, but still awaiting the answer. I haven't been doing much to make it happen. I've been so tired and empty feeling of late, but I know that what I need is on the way to lift me out of my funk.

Count me as another circus peanut fan though sugar is probably contributing to my tiredness. I've been binging on assorted candies I've been buying at 5 Below.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Popular Posts