January 2019 IWSG: Genre


The Insecure Writers Support Group is brought to you by founder Alex J Cavanaugh. This month Alex has the help of these Co-Hosts: Patricia Lynne, Lisa Buie-Collard, Kim Lajevardi, and Fundy Blue helping him. After you leave here, go give them some love. An optional question: What are your favorite and least favorite questions people ask you about your writing?

I’m still on Christmas break, in case you're wondering or wish to feel jealous! I go back next Monday. 

So...I think my least favorite question about my writing is, “What genre do you write?” It’s my least favorite question because I struggle with picking one genre. Writing short stories lets me jump my focus from one to the other. I know this isn’t a good thing, but I think it's related to my ADD. I have written a slew of short stories for a compilation and I don't know their genre. There is a theme that ties them together, but genre? 

However, I haven’t written a short story in two months. Don't worry because there is a good reason. I’ve put shorts aside to write on a couple of books. In November, I wrote a little over twenty thousand words, on a middle grade book, for an unofficial NaNoWriMo jumpstart. In December, I picked up a young adult book that I’d written some on. It needed changing and more of everything. At the writing of this post, I have 31,147 words for it. That's pretty good for a short story, non-declared genre writer. My favorite genre to read is psychological thrillers, in case someone is wondering. 

I don’t have a favorite question about writing but must admit I like it when someone asks me about my writing. You know when they ask me general stuff and don't bring up genre. Most of all, I like when others let me babble about my current project or next idea. I find happiness in those moments.

In case you were bored with my writing babble on this post, here's Millie’s Christmas picture to cheer you up. 




Comments

nashvillecats2 said…
Love the post, enjoy the rest of your holiday in readiness for more good writes this year.

Happy New Year.
Yvonne.
Millie is super-cute. But you, and she know that already.
I read from a lot of different genres and some of my favourites have refused to be limited to just one...
I don't enjoy talking to non-writers about my writing...I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely me and not them! One of my least favorite questions from non-writers also involves genre: 'why don't you write something different?' That's a tough one to explain. My answers are so boring (dealing with branding) that at least they never ask again, ha!
Millie matches your tree.
Awesome you are working on two big stories!
Rachna Chhabria said…
Happy New Year...Millie looks super cute!
Sadira Stone said…
Aww, Millie! Yes, babbling about our writing projects is great fun, and IWSG is a great place to babble. Wishing you a happy, healthy, productive 2019.
emaginette said…
I use the term cross-genre to describe what I try to do. Most are okay with it. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette
Jemi Fraser said…
Love that your words are working!! Great feelings
Wishing you and Millie all the very best that 2019 has to offer!
Pat Hatt said…
Millie and the tree sure are a match. Yeah, pffft to the genre one. I write in all. Easy answer.
Genre can be a tricky one to answer well until your book is totally finished. I changed how I categorized my first book three times.
Fundy Blue said…
Millie looks so cute, Teresa! And she matches the tree or rather the tree matches her. Congrats on all your writing progress, and good luck when you head back on Monday. I'll be home on Monday ~ actually by Saturday because Terry has an eye on a storm forecast for I-70 in the Rockies that's coming on Sunday. All the best to you in the new year!
Kit Grady said…
Good stuff- and Happy New Year
Thanks so much for stopping by my new blog. Millie is quite cute, but I also enjoyed your babbling. I 'm not much of a writer but my friend Toi Thomas is. She too has trouble sticking to one genre. When people ask her what genre she writes, she states, "clean adult and children's fiction," though she's also written some nonfiction. I think it's cool you're working on some novels and wish you all the best with them in 2019.
Carol Kilgore said…
I hate that genre thing, too. Even though I have a tagline, I usually say either mystery or romantic suspense - even though I write something in between.

Millie's so cute!
Gina Gao said…
Millie looks adorable! Have a great New Year!

www.ficklemillennial.blogspot.com
Arlee Bird said…
Genre can be so confining though I can understand the labeling so that readers can be more discriminating. Personally, I enjoy mashing genres together. It's actually more like life.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out
Hi Teresa - genre can be confusing too ... but I enjoy a good thriller, though I tend to be reading involved fairly serious books ... not novels. However ... Millie looks a delight, while your matching Christmas tree is a pleasure to see - as we're about to get snow!! Cheers and Happy New Year - Hilary

Popular Posts