Where's my Soapbox

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, children deserve a good childhood. All children should be loved, protected, parented, and have their needs provided.

There are ways parents should embarrass their children: 
  • Kiss them in public.
  • Wear a funky piece of clothing from another era.
  • Just exist.
  • Show parent dancing skills while chapperoning dances.
  • Say ‘Cool’ or ‘Groovy’ loudly around their friends.
But, there are ways parents should never embarrass their children:
  • Be drunk or high in public places. 
  • Curse their children in public (or anytime is my vote).
  • Use their sports events to get rid of anger.
Children aren't interested in perfect parents just parents who will love and take care of them until they are able to leave the nest.

“What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give.” ~P.D. James

And that's my soapbox for the day!



Quote source here

Comments

Jules said…
Amen sister! Sounds like you went to a school football game. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow
Anonymous said…
To punish my kids I once dressed so awfully mismatched and took them shopping. Yeah, that worked. They straightened up.
Gail said…
Well said, my friend!!!

I have become so disappointed in adult behavior at sporting events, it is a chore to go. Guys, it's a game...brag on your child and win or lose, hug them and say, great job!

Singing is a wonderful thing I use to embarrass those around me.
Hi Teresa .. it's general manners - you open the door and they walk through and are always surprised when I stand in the doorway and wait for them to get out the way and hold the door open as it's their side.

I have to say I'm not the smartest dresser and would like to be more so - but I do treat everyone with respect and give them a smile.

Stephen's comments makes me hoot - my father used to dress in a bowler, hat suit and walk with an umbrella when he went to get bread and meat on a Saturday ... such is life - but we learn from our parents! It's a good story now.

It is wonderful to have parents who appreciate their kids, and where they're at ... I enjoy their relationships ...

Cheers Hilary
Move over sister and make some room for me on that soapbox of yours!!!

This is so very sadly true. I've said many time dealin' with 'tuff' students that they only do what they know.

It's Dr. Phil who said, (paraphrasin' here) "It's takes many at'ta boys to erase one criticism."

Don't ya just want to see parents bein' parents again?? 'Nuff said...........

God bless ya sweetie and have a wonderful day! :o)
Mary Aalgaard said…
Amen, Sister! Let's link elbows and build up some self-esteem in kids, and their parents.
Such a good point! Sometimes it's the parents who are worst behaved!
Couldn't agree more! I don't like seeing adults be ugly towards each other in public either.
Carol Kilgore said…
Totally agree with all your thoughts in this post.
Jemi Fraser said…
Yes! Kids deserve our best - always!
Deb Shucka said…
A big amen to all you've said here. The P.D. James quote is stunning. I wonder what triggered this theme for you right now.

Popular Posts