What’s up with Jack Horner?


"Little Jack Horner sat in the corner
Eating his Christmas pie,
He put in his thumb and pulled out a plum
And said "What a good boy am I!"
Have you ever wondered what’s up with this “little” guy? Was he a little guy?
Was he a narcissist (in the making) praising himself for pulling a plum out of a pie? Really? Or was he just self-supporting, giving and receiving his own praise because he had harsh parents?
Wasn’t he too young to be talking to himself? “What a good boy am I?” Isn’t that behavior reserved for older folk? And why didn’t he say, “What a good boy I am”. Oh yeah, it wouldn’t rhyme.
And the biggest question for me is why was he “in the corner” with a pie? Was he being punished? Was he hiding out?
And WHO MADE THE PIE?
Oh, Little Jack Horner, what have you done?

Sometimes you gotta question things.
There’s an interesting story that goes along with the writing of this nursery rhyme here.

Poem Source: Wikipedia.org

Comments

Laura S. said…
I'd forgotten about this nursery rhyme! Now I'm wondering how all of them came to be.
Carol Kilgore said…
Interesting story about the Horner clan. I think most nursery rhymes are based on not very nice things. Seems like Ring Around the Rosie was about smallpox or something.
Lynn Proctor said…
i always thought this one was kinda strange too--but then a lot of them were--remember the black bird pie
Oh nursery rhymes...without you, the mysteries of the world would shine that much dimmer.
Unknown said…
Wow, you need to watch more TV! ;) Just joking. You're a very thoughtful person. I've never thought about Jack Horner but maybe if I did...
Unknown said…
Oh, and why Horner? To rhyme with Corner? Why not Hall to rhyme with Wall?
Interesting questions! Why did he have the pie if he was being punished?
I picture an ornery little Master Horner swipin' the pie outta the window and hidin' out in the corner to eat it. I think he was pretty darn proud of himself 'bout the time he pulled out the plumb. Heeeehehehe!

God bless ya sweetie and have a fantastic day!!!
Hi Teresa .. love the link - and the book that's advertised there ..

Fantastic questions you ask .. a bit like Little John of Robin Hood fame .. or Edward Longshanks .. who was tall ..

Pies - that bit is fascinating and I hadn't realised the extent of the history. Delighted you directed us there ..

I went past Glastonbury when I had to go to Cornwall this week .. it's a beautiful part of the world .. the hedgerows at this time of year are glorious - & Somerset is particularly pretty .. mind you - my heart is in Cornwall!

Cheers - Hilary
Mary Aalgaard said…
Did a quick catch up on your posts. Sounds like you've had some great family time.
I think little Jack was sent to the corner, and his sister gave him a pie because she felt sorry for him.
Anonymous said…
I always thought jack was in trouble and was not learning to behave even stuck in a corner...playing with his food and messing up that pie!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
CM said…
Now that I read the history around it from your link, I get where it came from. How bizarre! Oh and I've always wondered how you could pull out a plum with just your thumb...wouldn't you need one of your fingers too to grab it??? Ok, maybe I'm thinking too much into it! LOL!
Elana Johnson said…
This post made me smile. It raises all kinds of questions. :)
Anonymous said…
I can answer two of those questions. He sat in a corner so as to not share his pie, because he was a greedy brat. Also, no one is ever too young to talk to themselves. I started at the womb.
Betty Manousos said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty Manousos said…
i re-write:
good observation!
i would have never thought of that.
your post did make me smile!
thank you:)

hope you're having a great weekend!

big hugs!
xo

Popular Posts