Twenty-five Words

Thanks to all who empathized with my fall and injury and shared your personal spills. Oddly, this gave me comfort to know I’m not the only one. The bruising and swelling got worse and the pain increased. So nearly two weeks after I fell, I went to the doctor and got an x-ray.  No breaks. It’s just a sprain and bruised.
It’s only twenty five words, but…
You know how I own a bad memory, right?
Saturday, I opened a Writer’s Digest magazine that had been delivered to my home. After my daughter went home, I read the first two articles. Then as my ADHD mind (without the H) does, I flipped to the back page and read the very funny Reject a Hit feature.
Then…
I flipped through the magazine and saw an illustration, on the Your Story page. The photo looked familiar, so, I stopped there. I wondered if I’d entered the photo prompt contest and decided I hadn’t.   
But, I love reading those so I started at #1.
Then…
My eyes (because they have ADHD too with the H) kept darting to the end.
Why, you might ask would they dart there?
Because, my entry is #10.
What?
Yes.
I’d forgotten I had entered this particular prompt contest last August in Writer’s Digest magazine. The challenge was “In 25 words or fewer, write the opening sentence to a story based on the photo prompt below.”
Under the photo are these words, “Out of more than 1,300 entries, Writer’s Digest editors and forum members selected the following story openers”.
If you have the March/April WD magazine, go get it NOW and open it to page 52 and read my humorous 25 word opening sentence. It’s dorky, but it’s mine.
If you don’t own a WD magazine, you can go here and read my entry. I was ranked #10, but then, I’ve always said I’m a 10. Now's there's proof. 
It is only 25 words, but I have twenty-five words appearing in Writer’s Digest. Woot!
I only have one more thing to say, if you see an unattended umbrella, keep walking. I’m just saying it. And, I need to go call my sister and make sure she’s ok because, I just remembered, I gave her not one but two umbrellas for Christmas.
So, don’t you love it when one day goes your way? Did your team win the Super Bowl? Ever picked up a seemingly abandoned umbrella and bring it home? I’d stop that, if I were you.
 
 

Comments

Fantastic! Congratulations!! My issue hasn't come yet...maybe today. I'm so excited for you!
Teresa, that is awesome!!!! Congratulations.
Pat Hatt said…
That is awesome, congrats!
Betty Manousos said…
yaay!
that is AWESOME! i'm so happy for you!

congratulations!!
salute!

xoxo
Lynn Proctor said…
that is so great, teresa!!! yes, my team won--although i just picked one to be fun--i didn't really care!
Dewena said…
That is so exciting! And I now know that I'm not the only one who turns to the last page of a magazine first. In fact, I read the whole magazine backwards, article by article. Of course I'm also strange in that I read the first chapter of a book and then the last one before going back to chapter 3. Why? So I won't rush to find out what happens and can enjoy the words along the way.

So glad you're feeling some better now.
Hart Johnson said…
Oh, excellent! Well done!!! That's too funny to place in a contest you forgot you'd entered.
Anonymous said…
HA! Super cool!
Carol Kilgore said…
Awesome! I loved your entry, too. In fact, I liked it better than some of the other ones. Congratulations!
Laura S. said…
Oooo, how wonderful! I love WD magazine; this is so cool! Can't wait to see your entry. :) Congratulations!!
Jemi Fraser said…
Hope you're feeling up to par now!

Congrats on the 25 words! I can totally empathize with not remembering entering though - do that kind of thing all the time! :)
Mason Canyon said…
Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!! That is awesome. Ranking #10, I always knew you and Bo Derek had something in common. :) Hope you're feeling better.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress
Jade said…
Congratulations! What a perfectly clever opening!
Indie said…
I am going right now to read it!

Congratulations, I am SO proud of you!!!

Indie
Martina Boone said…
Congrats! That's awesome news and I love that you had forgotten about it. Makes it even sweeter! I hope you are writing a short story at least out of that opening?
Hi Teresa .. that's brilliant - well done and you had to find out you'd been placed in the top ten - how crazy is that ... I am so pleased for you .. those Grim tales from last year .. were so good - I hope we're going to get something similar this year ..??!!

Cheers and happy days .. Hilary
Teresa , you rock!
Well done!
Arlee Bird said…
That is so, so cool. I guess I haven't received my magazine yet. That's one of those magazines I get, but rarely read.

I didn't have any favorite team for the Super Bowl since I don't follow football, but at the last minute I decided to be for the Ravens since the name has literary roots. Other than that I didn't really care.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
Unknown said…
I have that issue. I'm going back to check your entry. Congrats!
meggo said…
That's really cool news. Congratulations!
Shalet Jimmy said…
Congrats....It was nice. I read the link.
Anonymous said…
Congrats! on the great news. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll check it out when we go to the library in a few days.
CM said…
Congrats! That's so awesome! I just clicked over and read your entry...haha, love it!

Popular Posts