Death in a CLOSET

I am participating in the Blogging from A-Z Challenge again this year. What is this mysterious blogging challenge you ask? Arlee Bird from Tossing it Out came up with this fantastic idea where bloggers post using consecutive letters of the alphabet for 26 days in April. It grew in numbers, and Arlee now has many helpers. To view other participates of the A-Z event click here.

Odd deaths happen, right? It’s sort of like being at the right place at the right wrong time. My A-Z 2016 blogging journey takes us down the road of Death by Oddity. Come join me.

C = Death in a CLOSET

On March 3, 1957 and only two blocks away from her home, four year old Mary Jane Barker was found dead, in a closet, of another house. When the closet door was opened, her dog rushed out. Some believed she had starved to death; others believed she was murdered. Newspaper clipping here


Any other parent out there as disturbed about this as I am? What do you really think happened to this little girl? Foul play? And why was the doggy still alive?

Comments

Only God and Mary Jane's dog know. Sad. :-(
Oh how dreadful. Never knowing, always suspecting would be almost impossible to bear.
Very disturbing! I would wonder about the dog a bit, although usually dogs are very protective of their people.
Mason Canyon said…
That one has so many questions to it. Very sad and disturbing indeed.
That is sad. If she starved, why didn't the dog also starve?
Pat Hatt said…
That would be awful indeed, the never knowing just adds to it.
The Silver Fox said…
Wow, what a sad story. Wonder what happened?
Mary Aalgaard said…
It's hard to say without a few more details. What a horrible death.
JoJo said…
Wow. I read the newspaper clipping. There are so many unanswered questions. But police forensics wasn't what it is now so a lot of things were overlooked. It also wasn't terribly common to immediately suspect parents in those days unless there was clear evidence. Maybe the little girl got sick and was kept in the house and when she died, they panicked and stowed her. It didn't say that she had decomposed, so she had to have died a few hours b/f she was found.
Unknown said…
Wow, twisted story. Especially strange that they said she hadn't eaten in a week. How bizarre!
Cynthia said…
What a sad and strange story. I do suspect foul play of some sort but perhaps there wasn't enough forensic advancements available at the time to enable the authorities to get to the bottom of it.
Anonymous said…
I'm not a parent, but that is disturbing. o.O

~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author
Cherdo said…
I'm totally obsessing about problems I see in the news, lol. I can't say it's tied to being a parent, but I do tell my children that I never think they are late - I think they are lying in a ditch, injured and calling my name...


Cherdo
Cherdo on the Flipside
"Favorite Characters, Favorite Lines" on the A-to-Z Challenge 2016
Maybe foul play? But it's sad nevertheless...especially since kids love hiding in cupboards, playing hide-and-seek.
Writer In Transit

Popular Posts