IWSG: Writing Time

It’s IWSG time, where writers across the world gather to share their writing experience and/or insecurities. (See below for more info on the Insecure Writer's Support Group.) The IWSG million dollar question this month is: How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

Making time to write has always been an easy task for me. I’ve written first thing in the morning for years, while my brain is fresh. For me, I must write daily or I would go crazy. Setting a time to write is a must. The routine is there. The flow is there. I write between five and seven each morning and again from eight to nine in the evening, IF I'm not mentally tired. But...

Something happened this last summer, something terrible. After a million years of writing with or without a routine, I stopped. 

It all started in June when I decided to have some tiling done, a lot of tiling actually. This job would consume the center of the house (dining), plus three baths for six days. My kitchen was shut down. My home life and household kind of stood still, waiting for the job to be completed. During those days, I either had to leave the house early or hide out in a bedroom with a restless pup. Either way, it was disruptive and exhausting. 
I may have shown you this already. This is my dining room, tiled. I have a prettier clock now--windmill like.
I stopped writing.

I couldn’t think about writing. 

My characters stopped talking to me. I thought they’d died and not told me about it. When I opened my computer, I would stare at the screen. Sometimes I would try to write something, but it was really nothing. Then I would close my computer and do something else. 

Over the next two months, I pretended, but wrote very little or none. It was horrible. I’ve been writing since the age of twelve. At times, I may have been busy and wrote less, but never did I quit writing. 

One day, I think in August, I was cleaning and I moved a  stack of yellow legal pads. One seemed to be calling my name. I found a pen and began to write--for hours. Okay not for hours but a couple of hours.

What a relief! If I couldn’t write I would be in a big mess emotionally, mentally and spiritually. And what would I do with all of the character voices in my head? Check into a hospital? Yes, there is that, but I'd rather write from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m, thank you very much-- and maybe 8 to 9 p.m, depending.

The IWSG was created by Alex Cavanaugh and assisted by awesome helpers. The Insecure Writer's Support Group website supports writers with writers and helpful information. Check out the sign up list here.

Comments

emaginette said…
I'd be freaking out if this happened to me. I'm glad you got through it. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette
Glad it finally clicked again! That would've disrupted my routine as well.
Mason Canyon said…
Glad things have finally smoothed out for you and your writing routine has returned.

Thoughts in Progress
MC Book Tours
Hi Teresa - glad you are finally back click clacking away and producing words and story-lines ... good for you - though I bet the house feels better now the tiling et al is fixed ... good luck - cheers Hilary
I am so glad that your muse returned.
Pat Hatt said…
Glad you are writing once more. Have to curse that new floor lol
shelly said…
I didn't write today. Family drama took up most of my day.
Sometimes our muse lies fallow -- which is a good thing. Farmers let their heavily used fields go fallow for a season. And if even dirt needs a rest, how much more so do our minds? Have a beautiful mid week. Roland
JoJo said…
That's how I get when my craft muse takes some time off. It's really distressing and uncomfortable yet you also can't seem to get started.
Arlee Bird said…
When the call to action is heard then that's the time to act. I understand how a life disruption can change us or what we do in many ways. I think that's happened to me with my major travel experiences in recent years. I need that call like you got.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out
cleemckenzie said…
I've had that happen, and it's a thrill to find you're back doing what you love. Maybe we're given these breaks to let the writing parts of our brains vacation and regenerate.
Nick Wilford said…
I can see how that would be very disruptive. Glad you're back in your rhythm and hopefully your new surroundings are inspiring too. Writing that time of the morning is the best as there are zero distractions!
Fundy Blue said…
I'm glad that you found your way through the disruption and have settled back into your routine, Teresa! I admire people who can find a routine and stick to it. That has been my biggest challenge throughout my life. I've never been able to settle into a routine. Life keeps upending me ~ But I've got a whole lot of experience to draw on. Have a fulfilling month of writing! I''' best your brain is fresh and bursting with ideas!
Hope things are going well for you and Millie, Teresa! I haven't seen you around the blogosphere for a little while and just wanted to check in. Hope everything is good there and that you're busy with life (and writing!) Hugs to you.
Naqvee said…
I came in here to read your words... PLease write more for us!
Jemi Fraser said…
I glad you're back at it! It's hard when life interferes and knocks you out of the groove. I'm worming my way back into it as well :)

Popular Posts