People often wonder what they have learned from life. I wonder-what have I missed?
This week I will share with you what I have learned from the most fantastic season in life-being the grandparent.
Get your popcorn. Sit down. Relax.
1. I have learned you really can get down on the floor and play. Your knees still bend and drop. And the grandbabies? Well...they will do their best to help you up again - should you struggle. Not that I do...much.
2. I have learned that today's grandparent looks nothing like the grandparent of my childhood. We modern GP's are quite fashionable and fetching. I am NOT delusional. Stop it!
3. I have learned you CAN buy love-from your grandchildren and their parents really can't stop you. Example of Purchase: "Five dollars? Look- five dollars. I love you, Grandma."
4. I have learned that if you think you are kissing and hugging too much, just ask. One child or two will tell you that you can kiss them and hug them all you want. I am sure this will change as said children get older.
5. I have learned that being a grandparent is like going to a theme park-more fun than you handle in one day.
6. I have learned that sometimes you get lost in the blue eyes of your grandchild because you see your son there.
7. I have learned how much my own grandparents must have loved me, because of my (own) love for the next generation.
8. I have learned you become selfish. You want more and more and more-grandbabies. What you can't afford them? Not my problem. What you don't have time? Hey, who cares? Gimme!
9. I have learned that your own children had to listen to you when they are little-because of the threats and coercion. I mean where would they be without you? Your grandchildren, however, listen to you because they really WANT to; because they are interested in what you have to say; because YOU are you.
10. I have learned that being loved by your children is the fire lit, but being loved by your grandchildren are the flames.
Do you have a light bulb moment you would like to share?