I’ve been writing since the sixth grade (I wrote plays). I didn’t know until I became an adult that I had to write or experience a brain explosion. If I didn’t write, the voices in my head would surely clog the output of my brain—like a type of constipation. So that makes writing a laxative. Right?As a young adult, I spent years sending my work out to magazines with only a few acceptances. However, I did receive lots of encouraging handwritten notes on rejection slips. Writing for fame and/or money will more than likely never be a reality for me, but really who wants the fame of J.K. Rowling or Stephen King? Okay, I'd try it for a week and then give it back.
I've accepted that I may never see my writing traditionally published or have a reader following, but I will never stop writing. I can't because...what if?
For the moment my mission, should I decide to accept it, (AND I DO) is that I will:
- Self-pub a short story compilation. (Done) Another is in the works. Even though only a handful of people have bought it, I love my A-Z story collection.
- Start a blog and post on it. (Done and ongoing)
- Hook up with other writers and learn the biz from them. (In progress through blogging)
- Establish a name, (may never happen, but I will try), by
- Entering contests.
- Self-publishing my work.
- Continue to submit to magazines. (Ongoing)
- Establish a backlog of fiction so that when I do become desirable, I will have other things for readers to read. (Ongoing)
Authors discovered later in life.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder - and we know how that ended. Right? It hasn’t she’s still popular today.
- Bram Stoker – a blood sucker he was and probably more famous today than then. Nearly everyone has heard of the book Dracula.
- William S. Burroughs
- Frank McCourt – I like this quote by him, "Keep scribbling! Something will happen." He won a Pulitzer.
Be encouraged by these links: .Jody Hedlund wrote Encouragement for Writers Who don’t Know If you should Keep Going
Stories of Writers who were Late Bloomers
Terribleminds.com writes 25 Reasons You Should Quit Writing Warning: They may be some language within, even the f-word, so be prepared, but some of it is actually funny and most of it spoke to me.The song that is playing in my mind as I write this is Don't Stop Believing by Journey.
"Keep scribbling! Something will happen."