Que Sera Sera

Q is for

Que Sera, Sera sang by Doris Day. This sooo veers off the book theme—or does it?

DORIS DAY, Her Own Story, by A.E. Hotchner (and Doris Day)

I had to get this book in and I was past the d’s and well...you know.

First Line: After twenty-seven years of band singing, radio, nightclub appearances, recording, movie and television acting, my public image is unshakably that of America’s wholesome virgin, the girl next door carefree and brimming with happiness.

She goes on to to say that just like her roles are make believe, that idea of her is also make believe (paraphrased).

End (Last Few) Lines: When thoughts are positive and loving, a person’s entire face relaxes. Down lines go up. Worry lines ease out. The body lifts in spirit; the soul is uplifted. It’s the greatest cosmetic of all, and it doesn’t cost a cent.

Doris Day is 91 this year (I think). She had an interesting career and life. I like (and own MANY of) her movies. I regret that I have never met her.

Oh well, Que Sera, Sera, whatever will be, will be. 

Comments

Hi Teresa - what a great choice for Q .. Que Sera, Sera - she's had an amazing career and is a talented actress and singer .. so glad she's still around to tell a tale or two .. cheers Hilary
Wasn't it Doris who used copious quantities of vaseline on her skin? As well as the positive thoughts...
Cheryl @ TFD said…
I remember that song and can still picture Doris singing it. She was a very good actress and so cute, too. I wanted to be her when I grew up. lol! I would have never guessed she was 91! (Until I remember how old I am. ha!) Take care!
Those final lines are so true!
Pat Hatt said…
Positive is sure the way to be and whatever will be will be
Hart Johnson said…
So interesting how Hollywood typecast people so strongly--they still do, but I think actors try to keep it from happening and take different roles to seem more rounded. I have always been more drawn to the "bad girls" but this helps Doris seem more complex.
Jay Noel said…
I think those personas just stick, even if they're completely inaccurate of the performer's true self. Doris Day is one wise woman
You have no idea how much I heard this song growing up. Mother was a huge Doris Day fan. :)
Like with David, my mother loved this song and sang it all the time. :-)
Now I can hear her singing in my head. Such a talented, interesting woman!
JoJo said…
I used to watch her show....I think it was set in San Francisco.
~Sia McKye~ said…
I always loved that song. My mom would sing it to me--usually after all the questions and worries I'd ask about.

When I lived in California, I met Doris Day's stand in or stunt double or whatever they needed her for. She looked very much like Doris Day and enough to turn heads when we'd eat out. Fascinating woman with tons of Doris Day stories--so I knew Ms Day wasn't what her girl next door looks made you think, lol! But I did love her movies. She made me laugh.

Sia McKye Over Coffee
Nick Wilford said…
Interesting. I don't know anything about her other than her movie roles.
Carol Kilgore said…
Didn't Doris Day work with homeless animals for a while? I don't know why I remember that.
Stephen Tremp said…
She's one of the few connections to the golden age of cinema we have left.
Cynthia said…
I think many people wear masks for both the private and public, though few, unlike Doris Day, would admit that.

Popular Posts