Sunday Reflection: Confidence

I’ve mentioned this before, but I am directionally challenged which causes me anxiety and leaves me with no confidence in my traveling ability. 

On one car trip together, my sister and I were traveling an interstate in Arkansas, for the first time. At that time, we had no GPS only a road atlas. I had appointed her as the navigator since I was the driver--and bossier. On our way to our destination, I suggested to my little sister that she needed to take note of landmarks, buildings, and businesses along the way so that when we returned we could use them as badly needed reference points on where to take my exit. Seemed like a good plan. Upon returning home, as most travelers are, we were tired and trying to be good (as in nice). Around Little Rock roads jetted in all directions, traffic was heavy, drivers unforgiving, and I was overwhelmed. I asked my sister if we were close to exiting. She answered that she didn’t know. I asked if she recognized anything familiar, as in the landmarks I told her to note. She said she didn’t see anything familiar.

We both grew quiet—scary quiet (in my family this is a most alarming sound). Then right in front of us was our exit and I took it. 

As you might have guessed, we made it home. We learned that day that on mega highways you will NOT see the same scenery on your return home as you did on the way there. And we do NOT have that problem on our country roads.

Believing in something you cannot see is tough, but faith in God says we must do that very thing.  One of my all time favorite Bible verses is Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1 We do that every day, trust in things we cannot see, things that do not have eternal benefits. God says that believing in Him is necessary and becomes a testimony for others navigating this world.  

"Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5:10-14 (NIV)

Blessings,

Teresa





Scripture source: Biblegateway.com  

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
Yeah, the scenery can be different the other way. But we usually find our way.
JoJo said…
I'm getting directionally challenged too. Finding my way around up in Washington was an exercise in futility. It's why I rarely ever ventured to Seattle!
I'll take faith when it comes to God and a GPS when it comes to driving. (Or rather, Google Maps on my iPhone.)
Gail said…
I needed this and other messages of encouragement today. Thank you.
I'm the same, and my husband is the opposite so I've never really had to work on this weakness. I've said many prayers when I was driving alone and got turned around.
I drive so much -- yet I am always nervous when driving somewhere new -- especially at night or in pouring rain. I often quote David: "My Times are in Your Hand." It calms me :-)
I'm always lost and use my GPS daily in the city I've lived in for 15 years!

Nice message on faith. :)
Arlee Bird said…
Great analogy. I'm pretty good with finding my way when driving, but it helps to have a road map. I think I've become overly dependent on GPS.
If only faith were so easy for everyone. I'm okay living by faith, but it seems like a good many people can't grasp the concept.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Popular Posts