Sunday Reflection: Loose Lips, Sink Ships

I admit, I’m a Big Brother fan. In real life it does nothing for the good of mankind or me—absolutely nothing. It’s a voyeuristic show that gives up different personalities mixed with different backgrounds in a social experiment like no other for TV.

This season’s winner was a cop. Prior to taping the show, he told how he would not disclose his job title or his background as an undercover detective, during his time in the house with the other housemates. It would be a strategic decision to use his knowledge as a cop and his profiling skills to win the money. Part of his success, on the show, came from using attentiveness and his listening skills verses doing the talking.  He would then use the information he learned to earn the trust of the others. Everyone seemed liked him, and he seemed to genuinely like the others, but he was there to win. In the end, (I think) some of the others felt betrayed by his tactics.

Nevertheless, listening more than talking may have helped him win this season’s prize. Refraining from shooting off his mouth, like the others did, clearly gave him an advantage.
Whether they are well thought out or spouted out with no forethought words are powerful. It’s kind of like the old adage, “Loose lips sink ships”. Our words can build or destroy.

The Bible talks about using words.
He who keeps instruction is in the way of life,
But he who refuses correction goes astray.

Whoever hides hatred has lying lips,
And whoever spreads slander is a fool.

In the multitude of words sin is not lacking,
But he who restrains his lips is wise.

The tongue of the righteous is choice silver;
The heart of the wicked is worth little.

The lips of the righteous feed many,
But fools die for lack of wisdom. Proverbs 10:17-21 (NIV)

Taking a second or two to consider our word choice (or none at all) before they come from our mouths may save a life—our own. J

Blessings,
Teresa

Comments

Such a good point, Teresa. I've been trying harder to simply listen these days. Thanks for the reminder!
Listening is an art form and one more people need to develop.
JoJo said…
I've never seen Big Brother. I have, however, heard that expression though. I had a job interview years ago for a law firm receptionist position and one of the lawyers (who was grumpy by nature) said, 'And don't talk about the cases and clients outside of the office!' and I said, 'Well you know what they say, loose lips sink ships'. He was taken aback and snarled, 'you're too young to know that expression.' I got the job and worked for them for 6 years.
Mason Canyon said…
Teresa, you have an interesting point about listening and thinking before we speak. I need to practice listening more. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
Pat Hatt said…
Yeah think before you speak is a good way to plug brain leak, which so many have lol
Unknown said…
How are you feeling? I hope you're feeling better now.
Hart Johnson said…
Who knew there was a strategy wiser than social manipulation!? I haven't seen that show for years, but the idea of a person using detective skills appeals to me (though yes, I can see the betrayal angle). I definitely think listening more and being thoughtful about what we say is helpful. Erm... if we can help ourselves--sometime stuff just comes out of my mouth...

Popular Posts