Sunday Reflection: What's up, Jonah?


In my recent Bible study, I’m reading about Jonah. He interests me, simply, because I’ve never liked being told what to do, and I sort of “get him”. However, this "defiant condition” often gets in my way. The author, of the study, indicates in her writing that Jonah didn’t want to do what God wanted him to do because Jonah didn’t like the interruption, in his life. This is probably true to a certain extent, but to me that’s not the real story.
I think maybe Jonah ran away, instead of proclaiming God’s message, because he felt that the people of Nineveh were not worthy of another chance. His actions, as they say, spoke volumes on where his heart was in spreading the news about Glory of the Lord.  
God uses imperfect people to do what needs to be done. He won't give us jobs that we aren't capable of doing, but how we do those jobs is key.
The big question for me on this day is, does my life (my actions, speech and presence) reflect the glory of God or is he a well-kept secret?
A Psalm of David
"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."  
Psalm 19:1-4 (NIV)
Blessings,
Teresa

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
Defiant I can be too. I'll just pretend I'm supposed to be defiant and it is the plan lol
JoJo said…
Defiant....that's totally me, although I do prefer the word 'rebellious'.
Our pastor asked a similar question today. If we are truly filled with the Holy Spirit, we can't help but tell the world about God.

Popular Posts