JACK AND JILL

J is for:

JACK AND JILL by Louisa M. Alcott

Jack and Jill (nicknames) did go up the hill.... Although, this book is not included  in my top ten list of classics, I think it’s worth mentioning.  Alcott wrote more than just LITTLE WOMEN and LITTLE MEN. 

First Line: “Clear the lulla!” was the general cry on a bright December afternoon, when all the boys and girls of Harmony Village were out enjoying the first good snow of the season.

Last Line: Let those who launch them see to it that they have good health to man the oars, good education for ballast and good principles as pilots to guide them as they voyage down an every-widening river to the sea. 

As I studied the first sentence, I saw foreshadowing of a main event. I also believe that the last sentence points back to the first chapter. 

Another book of Alcott’s that I would like read is UNDER THE LILACS. Have you heard of JACK AND JILL or UNDER THE LILACS?




Comments

I have never heard of either of these books. I have to ask: What is a lulla? Not something I have ever come across in my snow deprived life.
Nick Wilford said…
No, I've only heard of the Little Women series. Also curious about a lulla!
I know the nursery rhyme, but not the book.
Pat Hatt said…
Never knew there was a little men, little women I knew of though
Hi Teresa .. no I haven't read either of those books .. but there's an undercurrent delivered in the first sentence ... Also as the others have said .. what is a Lulla or is it Iulla ... cheers Hilary
I have heard of UNDER THE LILACS though I have never read it. :-)
cleemckenzie said…
I haven't read this one of Alcott's. Interesting how she observed a major principle of creating a story, and my guess is she didn't have an MFA. :-)
Click said…
I read Under the Lilacs a few years ago and I'm fairly certain that I read it as a child as well. It's a lovely little children's book, though each chapter kind of has a moral that is being emphasised. I'd recommend it. :-)

Cait @ Click's Clan
Unknown said…
I haven't heard of that book and I haven't read Little Women yet. Awful, I know :P

Popular Posts