Sunday Reflection: In the Know


When my daughter was a three or four years old, she said a bad word and was upset that I gently told her not to say the word again. The injustice to her (I believe) wasn't that I corrected her for saying the word, but rather that she didn't know she wasn't supposed to say it. That day, she asked for a written list of “bad words”, that she shouldn’t say even though she couldn’t read many words, at that time.

The world puts in front of me all kinds of glittering things--the newest and the greatest. Some things are not good for me. Some things could harm me long-term, but nevertheless,they remain a temptation. It would be nice to have a list, in front of me, of all things that could have an adverse impact on my future or health. 

Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.

Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.

Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.


It's not a crime to enjoy life, but not everything offered to us is beneficial or healthy. Thinking and praying before reacting, to those offerings, is the key.

My prayer: Dear Lord, I ask that you help me to "turn my eyes away from worthless things" so that I will experience less chaos and more blessings all of the days of my life. 

Blessings,
Teresa

Scripture source: Holy Bible, http://biblegateway.com  

Comments

JoJo said…
I would love to avoid chaos but it seems that everything has decided to hit the fan at once in my life right now and I am not handling it well at all.
A list would be handy, but it would be really long I'm afraid.
Pat Hatt said…
You'd spend the better part of a decade reading such a list. I'll just live and learn, or avoid and to a u-turn lol
shelly said…
Excellent reflection today. Everything in moderation, eating, television, shopping, etc is best.
One of the on-going themes in my Victor Standish novels is his mentors stressing that he must edit his vocabulary as swearing limits the vocabulary, and what does that hobbles the mind -- which is all any of us have to fight the darkness. Elu, his Apache mentor, does it with tweaking his nose. But it his love for his ghoul friend that keeps his colorful metaphors in check! In desperation, Victor uses "Sfumato", a Renaissance painting method -- it sounds close to what he would really rather say. :-)

What did C S Lewis write "God wants to give us the best, but Man wants the inferior." Have a great week.

Popular Posts