Sunday Reflection: Usable

If you’ve read me at all,  here on Sundays, then you know I’m a believer in Jesus Christ (God’s son) sent from God to redeem (sorry for the Christianese) us (the world) from our sinful state (offer by Satan, a long time ago). I’m not perfect, but I’m faithful (trusting, believing and confident) that God (the creator of the Heavens, Earth and His children) knows this about me. 

God knows that I may be flawed, but I'm still beautifully made for Him.

If you’ve read me at all, you know that I was raised going to a little country church, on a hill, with mostly loving people. And from time to time, my childhood Sunday School songs catch up with me and I am amused. I can’t remember what I’m doing from minute to minute, but I can sing church songs, bam, like that. 

♪ 
Zaccheus was a wee, little man
And a wee, little man was he
He climbed up in a sycamore tree
For the Lord he wanted to see
And as the Savior came that way
He looked up in the tree
And he said,
"Zaccheus, you come down from there"
For I'm going to your house today
For I'm going to your house today.” 

And here’s the Bible story to the song:

Jesus entered Jericho to pass through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and wealthy. He wanted to see who this Jesus was, but because he was height challenged (short), he could not see over the crowd. He ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to catch a glimpse of Jesus who was coming that way. 

I mean wouldn't you?

When Jesus reached the place where he could looked up in the tree, he said, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” So Zacchaeus came down and welcomed him into his home.

All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.

Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.Luke 19:1-10 (NIV) 

And this my blog guests is what believing in Jesus will do. He will inspire those who have more than enough let go (v. 8). He will inspire the curious to believe (v. 9). He will inspire the greedy to become honest (v. 8). Jesus inspires the lost to be rescued for an eternity with Him (v.10). Awesome stuff. 

Blessings,
Teresa


Source: Holy Bible: www.gateway.com   Song: www.childbiblesongs.com

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
The greedy to become honest? That will take some kind of inspiration this day and age
shelly said…
Yup. And He will inspire us to forgive and love who we believe are the unlovable.
Bet he's really glad he climbed that tree.
JoJo said…
It's a pity that so many people who purport to be Christian are not even close to being Christ-like. The greedy will never become honest.
B. WHITTINGTON said…
What a great post. As soon as I started to read the words to the song it came back to me from my sunday school where we sang it as well as many others. Thanks for the lovely memory. Love our Lord and Savior too. Our world surely needs him today. Hugs. Barb

Popular Posts