Spelling Bee, Spell Check and Expectations

     A couple of months ago, I visited our school district's central office. As I walked in the door, the secretary glanced up and said, “Spell italicized for me.”

     
It was second grade all over again. I straightened my posture, looked straight ahead and said, “I-t-a-l-i-z-e-d. Wait,I don't think that's right.”
     Just then, one of the assistant superintendents, who I consider a longtime friend, made an appearance and distracted me. I handed her an envelope, and she invited me into her office for a quick chat. 
     When I returned to the front office, I told the secretary that I was pretty sure I'd forgotten an “s” in italicized. 
     She said, “No, it was the c like in italics.” 
     “Spell check has ruined me!" I said for all to hear
     Someone passing by agreed about spell check.  
     A couple of others gathered to join the conversation. 
     “I mean, you're looking at a second grade spelling bee champion,” I told them. "I wasn't just cute. I could also spell words correctly."
   The small crowd seemed amused. I love a good audience.

It's a true story 

     I was a second grade spelling bee champ! My success came in Mrs. Beulah Looney's first and second grade classes combined. Sadly by then, my second grade boyfriend, David, had moved to third grade across the hall in a combined class of third and fourth grade. 
  I don't remember the spelling bee, but I do remember being overly excited at the possibility of winning a silver dollar. The silver dollar had been the winner's prize for years. I won the bee, but I did not win a silver dollar. That year the prize had change to an...ink pen.
           Such is my life. 
     Oh and the envelope that I handed to my superintendent? My resignation! After completing my 29th school year, I have retired. 

~T

Comments

nashvillecats2 said…
I don't think I could have spelt that word if asked.
Loved the post and found it most interesting.
Have a great week. keep safe and well.

Yvonne.
Hi Teresa - Spelling Bees were the American thing ... I don't think we had them here ... may do now - but not back in my day! I was able to spell ... but would never have been champ ... and frustrating about the silver dollar - mind you the pen could have been useful. Great day to resign - they made it fun for you ... happy times - yet 29 years on of teaching ... you've given much back. Stay safe and enjoy retirement days ... Hilary
Echoing Hilary. We didn't have spelling bees either. I do blame spellcheck and my innate laziness for the marked deterioration in my spelling skills those.
Enjoy your retirement. 29 years is a very long time.
Congratulations on your retirement! Woo-hoo!

I was in a spelling bee when I was in 5th grade. Lost when I got the word "moccasin." I'm not sure I spelled it right just now, either...
Congratulations on retiring!
I'm still a pretty good speller so Spell Check hasn't done me in yet.
Mason Canyon said…
Congratulations on your retirement, well deserved. I agree, Spell Check has ruined me too.
Jemi Fraser said…
Woohoo!!!! Congrats on your retirement!! It's a very good time to retire with the chaos that is going to be next year.
And, a belated congrats on the spelling bee championship :P
Naqvee said…
Super congratulations on your retirement and I'm glad something must be keeping you busy because those who are spelling bee champs as kids and very well learned in their youth have an amazing time in their retirement hours!

Popular Posts