Why do you write what you write?


Flannery O’Conner once said, “I write to discover what I know.”To discover what I know about people of whom I've only met in my head and tell their story is quite amazing. I write to write their stories. 

On another note, I am unofficially writing with the NaNoWriMo again. Tentative title is Paper Nests. I've had a busy October but I did squeak out a “Beat Sheet”, simple character sheets and a list scenes. It's enough to get me going. 

Are you writing with the NaNo? If you write, why do you write? If you're a reader, what connects you most to a story. The characters? The story line? A specific genre? Something else?




Comments

Good luck with NaNo. This greedy reader connects to character. Genre is not important (though horror is low on my list).
Good luck with NaNo and smart to have a beat sheet ready.
Carol Kilgore said…
Never have done NaNo. That kind of stress would freak me out. I write more like the second quote, too.
Jemi Fraser said…
I'm doing NaNo as well - 3 good days so far :)
It's all about the characters/emotions for me as well
Fundy Blue said…
Hi, Theresa! I am doing NaNo for the first time, mostly to kickstart my memoir after avoiding it for a few months. Good luck to you as you participate in your own way. Take care!
Pat Hatt said…
Knowing the people you met in your head is a good reason.
Hi Teresa - NaNo = never! But good luck and go for it ... if you're passionate it'll write its own way ... take care and all the best - Hilary
Nick Wilford said…
Fun getting to know those characters, even if they're slow to open up sometimes. Hope NaNo is going well.

Popular Posts