IWSG, July 2021: What could make you quit?


This post was written for the Insecure Writer's Support Group monthly blogging event created  by writer Alex J Cavanaugh Alex's awesome co-hosts this month are Pat Garcia, Victoria Marie Lees, and Louise – Fundy Blue! Be sure to visit the site to sign up and the cohosts. 

The optional question this month is: What would make you quit writing?

I would like to think that nothing could stop my writing—forever. Writing is something I enjoy, but even more so it is a part of my soul and an expression of my heart. A therapy. A purging of stories that collect in my mind. If I’m not writing my thoughts, then I’m writing the thoughts of my characters.

 

But when you lose people important to you, then you can’t help but pause from everyday life things, from normal activities and feel the grief. 

 

Last Saturday, I went to the funeral of my next-door neighbor. She was my first neighbor as an adult, but in a different location. We were fresh and young in the mid 1970s. We were figuring out how to flip the switch from teenager to adulthood. Later, we became neighbors again for the next forty-four years. We became neighbor-friends.

 

She loved gardens and flowers as much as I do and was my garden buddy. After her death, I didn’t consider quitting my writing. Instead, I wrote in my journal about my grief and disbelief. What I did consider was not returning to my garden. Why should I continue to garden when I have no one who will talk gardening with me? I have no one who cares about my “pretty little flowers” now, but me.  

 

Of course, I have returned to my garden because she would want me to and there are nearly twenty tomato plants depending on me. Sometimes, in the middle of our losses, we might not feel like writing, gardening or doing what normally makes us happy and that is okay. It's okay to pause. Honestly, it's okay to quit if it's that important to you.

 

I've decided to write about my neighbors, soon. It's been a crazy and tragic year in the Ruralhood.


T.

 

 

Comments

I am very sorry about your loss - and glad that you are still writing and still gardening.
Natalie Aguirre said…
So very sorry for the loss of your friend. And yes, it's okay to pause the writing to experience the pain of the loss you're experiencing.
Out in your garden again, you may feel closer to your long-time friend and even hear her in your head with some remembered word or phrase. I know I hear Sandra like that. She was always giving me a pat or the back or a kick in the rump ... sometimes both when it seemed appropriate. Thanks for visiting my post and commenting. I sometimes feel like the best kept secret on the internet. :-)
Fundy Blue said…
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Teresa. It's gut wrenching to lose a cherished friend. I have a feeling those twenty tomato plants will help you start to heal and to remember funny times with your friend! Sending you a big hug. Take care!
So sorry you lost your friend. She would want you to continue gardening and it's all right to pause now and then. Not for too long, as the garden would dry up!
Chrys Fey said…
I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m happy that you’ve returned to garden for your friend and for yourself. It can help you connect to her and bring you a bit of happiness. Gardening is great for stress relief and to ground, take care, Teresa!
Helen said…
Thank you for taking time to write to this prompt this month. I think working the garden will help your heart work out your loss. :)
Carol Kilgore said…
So sorry for the loss of your friend. It's so difficult to lose someone close to you. Life goes on, but it is different and sometimes more difficult, but it is still ours to live. Hugs :)
Quenntis said…
Growing together as you grow your garden of memories with your neighbor. This is a lovely and sincere image. Thank you for sharing your loss with us.

Your loss may pause your words, but it is in the writing of these words that will bring you back to this wonderful world.
Hi Teresa - just so sad, yet so true ... we lose our friends, often suddenly ... but they would want us to continue on as best we can ... and especially being outside, gardening, being in the fresh air, the need for care and attention - all lead us on ... and while it happens we mull our lives, we remember our lost ones ... Keep writing and recording ... in the meantime with thoughts - Hilary
Nick Wilford said…
Sorry for your loss. Yes, it's okay to pause for as long as you need to, but doing things you enjoyed with those you've gone is a good way of feeling close to them, I think.
Fundy Blue said…
Hi, Teresa! Happy IWSG Day. I hope you are finding peace and happy memories of your friend in your garden.
Nick Wilford said…
Sorry for your loss. Yes, we can pause and take stock, but it's always good to return to what you love - those we miss wouldn't want us to stop.

Popular Posts