Numbers In My Brain Remain

Do you ever have something that stays in your brain? I'm not a math person. In fact, if someone expects me to do math on demand or in my head, I immediately sweat, go blank and pull off my shoes to use the extra digits. However, some numbers remain in my brain.

It started as a young adult when license plate numbers stayed in my head all day long. During that time, I worked as a high school secretary and became a human telephone book. "What’s the number of the main office, the middle school or the elementary?" they would ask. "Do you know the number at the lumberyard, the grocery store, the local Walmart?" 


I appreciate the author who uses a number in their title. Not only are books named with numbers, the numbers have significance in the story. 


Here’s a sample:


4:50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie (A Miss Marple mystery)

1984  by George Orwell 

The 39 Steps by John Buchan (Richard Hannay- thriller adventure)

Four by Veronica Roth (Divergent series)

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore 


Honestly speaking, faces are my best strength—memory wise, but remembering numbers is a close second.


Have you read any of the above mentioned books? Do you have a favorite book where the title contains a number? As a writer, have you included a number in a title? 


Need a couple of sites to read, where they talk about books using numbers in their title? 

30 Best Books With Numbers in the Title

Famous Books With Number Titles (My favorite list because I like early writing.)  


T.

Comments

Hi Teresa ... yes I can be a number person ... and I'm fortunate with my memory. I have read 1984, but need to again, Catch 22 - I really should read, 84 Charing Cross Road - always interested me ... as it's here in London.

Definitely read 4.50 from Paddington ... as too The 39 Steps ... both need to be re-read ...

Cheers Hilary
I am barely numerate but some numbers stick. I know my tax file number off by heart for example.
I LOVE 84 Charing Cross Road - it is one of the books I reread most years. And yes, I have read 1984, and Catch 22.
Just 1984. I'm afraid we may be living it.

Popular Posts