Spiritual Journey: Don't Pray Then Runaway

Last week, I decided to re-read a book that I purchased in the 1990s Prayer  by E.M. Bounds (1815-1913) a writer, attorney and pastor. I pray a lot during the day, as I fall asleep at night and when I awaken. 

It's what I am and do. I am a person who prays.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.” 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-19  ESV


I pray for many reasons:


-to be comforted,

-for wisdom, 
-thanksgiving,
-protection and healing,
-for the people I love,
-guidance,
-when God lays other people on my heart, and 
-when others ask me—to pray. 

I pray when I’m crushed, content, afraid, doubting and when facing mountains that I don’t wish to climb. 

 

Why do I pray when I don't always see the results or get what I want? Prayer for me is like taking long cleansing breaths of renewal where my soul finds its peace. It's my communication with God and, like any communication, helps build a solid relationship. 


Something that jumped out at me, in the book I'm rereading as if it were brand new, was this (bolding is mine):

 

And it is wonderful how a matter that looked very dark will in prayer become crystal clear by the help of God’s Spirit. I think Christians fail so often to get answers to their prayers because they do not wait long enough on GodThey just drop down and say a few words and then jump up and forget it and expect God to answer them. Such praying always reminds me of the small boy ringing his neighbor’s doorbell, and then running away as fast as he can go.”

 

I don’t want to be a pray and runaway Christian. 

 

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 NIV

 

Yes, we pray and leave our concerns with God (Philippians 4:4-6). There is more. For our relationship to grow with God, we need to pray then stay to hear what He has to say. I'm working on being a pray and stay Christian. 

 

Something to think about.


Blessings!

 

~Teresa

Comments

I am glad that you have this comfort and support.
That's such an interesting point...that the praying is part of a relationship and not something we just drop at God's feet. Words to think about.

Popular Posts