Seven days of Writing to my Goal

As I mentioned last week, I’m writing (unofficially) with the NaNoWriMo. It's been a bit grueling. I've had things try to get in my way, but I get through it.

 

I didn’t go into this November writing thing by the seat of my pants. I planned. I made lists. I set aside a larger chunk of time to write. I spent October creating scenes, goals, theme, characters etc. and outlined. If I succeed in writing 50,000 words, they will be a great jumpstart on any book. One problem that I had in the past was running out of scenes to keep myself writing. I tried to do better this time. This story is one I jotted down years ago. It's unfolding in ways I did not expect. 

 

Two things I need to work on in myself are: completing and polishing projects and sending my writing to markets.


Things I've learned this week:


1. Preparation is everything. Thinking and jotting down as many ideas for "scenes" as I can helps me keep writing. Pre-outlining for me is key.


2. My main character's character is changing. She's surprising me and reacting in ways I didn't know about. 

 

As of Tuesday evening, my word count was 13,028. 

 

T.

Comments

I am so glad that you have found the key to your writing.
And loved reading that your main character is changing and growing. I hope the rest of your month goes really, really well.
That's great! I can't write anything without planning, let alone NaNo. It really makes a difference.
Well done Teresa ... you're well on the way - and it'll be fun finding out where your main character takes you ... enjoy - cheers Hilary

Popular Posts