Words for Wednesday #1

Elephant Child asked me to host Words for Wednesday for the month of April. It's my first time, so bear with me. This event was started by Delores who needed to bow out for her own reasons and is currently hosted by various bloggers. The goal of Words for Wednesday is to encourage individuals to write using some or all of the prompts provided. You may write your story in the comments here or take it to your own blog, mentioning the host blog if you will. Let us know if you're posting one on your blog (in my comment area) so we can visit you. 

This week’s prompt list is:

  • sister 
  • warning
  • assignment
  • angry
  • tourist 

Optional word list to use however you wish or not at all: 

  • large 
  • quest 
  • blackmail 
  • blunder
  • notebook 
My entry:

SISTERS

I’ve been on the road for two days, off and on, driving to my parents’ farm for their fiftieth anniversary party, happening tomorrow, and I'm late. Usually, I fly in but this time I drive, acting like a tourist. I'm imagining my older sister sharing with everyone how I'm always late when my phone rings, and it's her. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me. Where are you?” she scolds and sounds angry. “I’m giving you a fair warning ….” 

The call cuts out, then drops before I hear her warning. I call her back, but I'm sent to her voicemail. “It’s me. I got lost. New highways and all. Why a warning?” I end the call and call again, but only get her voicemail. 

An hour later, I get a new call, a number I don’t recognize. I don’t answer. They leave a message, and I listen. “Why aren’t you answering? I’m calling from Jake’s phone. Call me ASAP!” 

The voice sounds like my sister, kind of. I call the new number.

“About time,” she answers. 

“I know I’m late, but you don't have to threaten me."

“Threaten you?”

“Who’s Jake?” I say.

“Your first cousin. Remember?” she says, sounding annoyed. “You need to visit more often.”

“Oh... Jacob.” 

“Yes, he’s here and lots of other family. Our parents are already having a blast catching up. I know you don’t like crowds so I wanted to give you a heads up, a warning,” she laughed. “And to see if you completed your assignment.” 

“Our gift? Yes, I have it. A commissioned oil painting of Mom and Dad’s wedding picture."

“I can't wait to see it and you! Drive safe,” she says. 

“I'll be there in about thirty,” I say, but she’s already ended the call. I take a deep breath, drive on and ready myself for a house full of family reunion and love. 

Comments

Thank you so much for posting the prompts - and such stellar ones too. I hope to be back later with my take on them.
Thanks Teresa ... well done - good words I'll have a think and see you here later ... cheers Hilary xo
My entry from the 2nd set: I blundered into the large gathering … desperate to get my notebook back … it held plans for a future project. People! ... why do they crowd around so much – but amongst them I'd worked out was the blackmailer … now my quest began to find that charlatan.

Teresa - I loved your entry ... I wondered and hoped there was no darkness - but just that anxiety to get you to the party on time to share their love and happiness.

Thanks for getting the Words for Wednesday up - cheers Hilary
EC, you are welcome. See you later.
Hilary, Thanks for the heads up. I kicked it into gear and got it done. I love your take on the second set of words.
Granny Annie said…
Great prompts Teresa. Here is my story and it is also posted on my blog.
BEWARE STRANGERS by Granny Annie

Belle was on her bed reading when her door opened. A stranger stood there and Belle was startled. She hurled an ANGRY WARNING at the man. "Get out! Get out! Who are you and why are you in my room?" Suddenly Belle's SISTER Nelly came running to the rescue.

"It is okay Belle" Nelly insisted. He is part of my school ASSIGNMENT. I am supposed to be kind to a stranger and I found this TOURIST walking around outside. He was looking at old homes and wanted to see ours. I invited him in. He opened your door by mistake."

Belle looked at the man carrying a NOTEBOOK. He apologized for his BLUNDER and tried to explain his QUEST in their town. "What are your writing in that LARGE book?" Belle demanded.

"I am in search of persons to BLACKMAIL" the man answered "and you two are my first. Give me all the money you both have and I will not tell you parents you let an unknown person into your home."
Little did they know. All those angry tourists whose quest for the perfect holiday led them to leave less than stellar reviews wound up on the ‘sister’ site. The operators did give a warning of sorts when they said that reviews were taken seriously and they viewed them as an assignment. The assignment was one filled by junior staff members – to identify and remove them as soon as they appeared.
Teresa and Hilary: I loved both of your stories.
Granny Annie - you were walking on the dark side - I do hope that Belle and Nelly resist.
Mike said…
My sister gave me a warning about the assignment with the angry tourist.

A large group of people on a quest for blackmail loot made a blunder and lost the all-important notebook.
Carol Kilgore said…
I grabbed my notebook and waved it toward my sister in warning. An angry tourist pulling a large suitcase was heading her way. The man was suspected of blackmail by our client, and our quest was to follow him without his knowledge. It's what we do, and rarely do we make a blunder. We are Beth Ellen and Susie Thomas, owners of BEST Surveillance. Call us. We'll help you.
Great job with the story! I'm always in awe of short story writers. I love them...I'm just not good with them!
Mike and Carol Kilgore: I am pleased to see that Captain Succinct has made it over here, and loved Carol's very different take on the prompts. Micro fiction is a heap of fun.
Cindi said…
I like everyone's posts actually, this is a good group of words!
messymimi said…
Thank you for hosting this month!

Your story is excellent, I've had those moments, driving and the call drops, you know something may be wrong but you can't get another call through, you made me feel the tension, and the relaxation at the end.

Hilary, I do hope you catch him.

Grannie Annie, nice twist at the end.

EC, that is too often true, corporations can be tricky that way.

Mike, Captain Succinct rules!

Carol Kilgore, I'd call them, with that kind of recommendation.

Cindi, I'm on my way over.
Started off so dark but ended light - good!
Granny Annie, I just love your story so much.

Mike, I like what you've done. :)

Carole, Love this. You are a writer with stories always brewing on the back burner. My back burner needs more fuel these days.

Elizabeth, More than likely you are good at short stories, but who cares, you are an excellent writer of cozies.

Cindi, I'll go check. Thanks for stopping by.

MessyMimi, I always get cut off at the most terrible time.

Alex, I often start off dark and lighten up later. LOL

Thanks everyone for stopping by.
River said…
Thank you for the words, my story will be on my blog on Friday 7th.
I like all the entries above me here.

Popular Posts