Words for Wednesday #4 - One Last Kiss

Whether you’ve read along, wrote stories or both for the Wednesday word writing event , I appreciate you! This is my last Words for Wednesday post for the month of April. 

During the month of April, I will be hosting Words for Wednesday. Elephant Child asked me to host the April event. This event was started by Delores who needed to bow out for her own reasons and is currently hosted by various bloggers. The goal of Words for Wednesday is to encourage individuals to write using some or all of the prompts provided. If you wish to participate, you may write one in the comments or take it to your own blog. Let us know in the comment area if you are writing one at your blog. 


Today's word prompts:


Edge 

Chair 

Blanket 

Hypothermia 

Fire


Extra words:


Exile

Ranch

Mutual 

Agenda

Dress 


Warning: The following story might be a little dark. 


One Last Kiss


Outside the mountain cabin, the wind howled. Inside, the fire was dying. Snow banked against the doors and windows, which should have made the cabin warmer. 


On the floor, near the fireplace, lay a thick blanket. Two half full wine glasses sat near the edge. Joanie looked over at her naked husband of twenty-five years, sitting in the leather chair where he’d fallen—the day before. Mike was stubborn. His eyes glared at her when they weren't closed, sometimes blinking in slow motion. Early on, his eyes saw only her and rarely wandered, until they did. He said he needed someone who understood him, someone exciting. Joanie understood Mike completely. 


Her husband gasped his last breath while looking at Joanie and not at his dead lover who lay half on, half off the blanket. Joanie blew Mike one last kiss before his eyes closed. Somewhere, she’d read that dying from hypothermia was not painful and hoped it was true. She hated pain. By spring she’d be dead, or at least that was the plan. Mike’s gun was empty.


~



T.

Comments

River said…
I somehow want Joanie to survive and go on without Mike, but I get the feeling she is ready to go.
I'll have to put my brain to work tomorrow and come up with something.
Hi Teresa - based on the first set:

Well you can forget Hypothermia … it is boiling I can see the smoke high on the hill probably a fire careening its ire down towards us … I don't think the fire blanket will be much use – do you?

I'm on the edge of my chair wondering what to do … I find it difficult to move now-a-days … you MUST GO … save yourself. I've had a good life … and enjoyed Teresa's Word for Wednesdays …

Cheers to one and all - I'll be around to visit - Hilary
Hi Teresa - interesting ... you've taken the cold as the killer, whereas I've gone for heat ... I've loved your words - interesting ones that we have a chance to draft tales for the WWW entries: thank you! Cheers Hilary
Thank you, River, for stopping by. I considered her escape and who knows maybe she did.

Hilary, Oh fire! Yes, one of many forces in nature that can take our life. Love, betrayal and crushing heartbreak, too. :)

Cindi said…
mine has been posted here, with links and italics to come next week when I'm back in town I'm currently traveling by train for a fun week, details and pictures to follow!
Oooh, that is a dark tale Teresa. A tale that is told in many, many countries.
I loved Hilary's tale and have spent far too many days watching fires hoping (so much) that they come no closer.
Mine is a true story, using the words from the first set and a little of the second.
This is a true story. Himself’s sister lived in England for a while. She became very attached to an elderly near neighbour. The neighbour had been away for about a week and returned home to her heritage listed home.
Meredith called round to see her the next morning.
To her absolute horror she found Eunice on the edge of her chair in the lounge room, beside the pitiful fire, wrapped in a blanket and suffering from hypothermia. In the time she was away there was no heating on and the house was absolutely freezing. Dress for the conditions is one thing – but to need to rug up like a woolly bear to be safe inside was completely another.
After that winter Meredith decided her exile from warmer climates was over – and she brought her husband back to live in sunny Queensland.
messymimi said…
Teresa, that's a sad and dark story, too often true in one form or another.

Hilary and Sue, i really enjoyed both of your tales.

My words are over here.
Thanks EC and Messymimi for your comments!
I'm a regular reading of river blog. And thought I would play a long this time.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.
Mike said…
I was on the edge of hypothermia with no blanket, so I set the chair on fire to stay warm.
Men can be stubborn.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Popular Posts