Laura Ingalls Wilder

I have been visiting author Laura Ingalls Wilder’s property in Mansfield, MO for over thirty years. The first time I visited, we took our children to see the farmhouse and museum. Throughout the years, there have been changes. One steadfast rule was that the public was not allowed to take pictures inside the houses. I mean, I get it. They sold postcards in the gift shop depicting the inside of the house, which funded things. However, when I made one of my yearly appearances, in May of this year, the rule changed (at least for that day). When the tour guide said we could take photos, I’m fairly certain my heart stopped beating, and I died, but only for a second. I did have to ask my daughter if I heard correctly. 


One of the pictures I took is of Laura’s writing desk. Not only did she write at the desk but in other places in her home. Pardon the legs reflecting off the plexiglass covering the desk’s cubbies. There were people everywhere trying to see and photograph.


If you’re ever near Springfield, Missouri, head to Mansfield and visit Laura and Almanzo Wilder’s two homes and property in general. Tickets are $18 for adults. It's worth it. See more info here. Also, they built a new museum. My daughter and I were there at the grand opening, in 2016, and appear in a photograph taken by a local news station. Here's the article telling about the museum. If I’m counting correctly, from the right, we are the 5th and 6th person in the photo. 



I have other pictures from the trip, which I plan to write about on The Ruralhood in the near future. 

Keep writing and reading, my friends.


T.

Comments

How wonderful for you. I can remember my excitement when our National Gallery finally allowed photos.
Hi Teresa - I remember your earlier visit and how much you admire Laura Ingalls Wilder and her books ... I'm always amazed at the tiny desks women managed to complete their books at ... I'm thinking Jane Austen, but there must be many others ... Rudyard Kipling had a big desk! So pleased you had this visit with your daughter - cheers Hilary
That's cool you finally got to take photos. I can understand no flash photography, but no photos at all is a bit extreme.

Popular Posts