IWSG: Ideas Arriving - July, 2023


Have you ever wondered where writers get their ideas? Read on, and I'll tell you where I get mine. 

It's that time again to gather together as writers and blog about our writing insecurities. The following post was written for the IWSG monthly blogging event created by author Alex J Cavanaugh. Alex's awesome co-hosts for this month are: PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, Gwen Gardner, Pat Garcia, and Natalie Aguirre! Please visit Alex and our cohosts. This month's optional question is: Where do your story ideas predominantly come from?


My brain never stops thinking. I’ve been called an over-thinker a time or two, which might add to my perfectionism problem, but that’s another story. Some of my ideas come to me while I am sleeping. I can’t say they’re dreams, but sometimes I wake up to an idea in my brain. I might try to go back to sleep, but if the idea persists, I’ll jot it down and then go back to bed. 


Most of my ideas, come from TV shows, movies or news stories (lots from news). I might see something in one that spurs my imagination. If so, I'll write it down in my idea log. 


Writers, how about you? Where do your ideas come from? Readers, do you ever watch a movie and think you could have done better? 


T.

Comments

Love learning where writers' ideas come from. If any idea came to me from the news it would undoubtedly fall into the horror genre.
Hi Teresa - my ideas come from the prompt I'm trying to satisfy, or from deciding on a different blog post I want to put up. I try and bring subjects to the blog that readers might be interested in. Cheers Hilary
Natalie Aguirre said…
A lot of people say their ideas come from TV, movies, and the news. I think ideas come from anywhere, including the ones you mentioned.
Movies and shows are where I get a lot of my ideas.
Excellent answer and a good source for ideas.
Rajani Rehana said…
Please read my post
My heart attack and working to pay off all these medical bills keeps me from visiting as often as I used to. Sorry for my absence of late. :(

Where do I get my ideas? I ruminate a lot while I do my blood runs in this terrible heat. Like with you, favorite books, TV shows and movies spark a few thoughts ... like what if Great Expectations, Fringe, and Band of Brothers melded together?

Here's my first post on it if you are curious: https://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2023/05/end-of-dry-spell.html

Have a cooler summer! Roland

Carol Kilgore said…
Sometimes I overhear bits of conversation or see some little something that inspires an idea or a storyline or something about a particular character, but I don't always know it at the time.

Popular Posts