February IWSG: The Turn-Offs of a Website
What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog?
The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is the creation of science fiction writer Alex J. Cavanaugh . You can find his books here. He started the IWSG, “To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!” The IWSG’s website offers resources and a support group. Join the blog hop the first Wednesday of each month here!
Optional Question: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?
Things that DO NOT ANNOY me when visiting another writer’s blog or website are the following:
1. Helpful writer tips or articles.
2. Mentioning books they have authored.
3. Pictures of pets, trips—photos in general, especially if the photo is artistic.
4. Excerpts from the writer’s books, short story or poetry.
Things that DO ANNOY me are:
1. So many advertisements that my head spins like the girl in the exorcist movie. (BTW, I’m not against advertisement on a website. I’m against too many.)
2. Political rants. It doesn’t belong on a writer’s site, IF you want me to read you. To be honest, I'm turned off by all political rants.
How about you? Do you have things that bother you when visiting writer’s websites or websites in general?