March IWSG: Using AI


Today, we ponder artificial intelligence. Do you use it? 

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is the creation of science fiction writer Alex J. Cavanaugh . You can find his books here. He started the IWSG, “To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!”  The IWSG’s website offers resources and a support group. Join the blog hop the first Wednesday of each month here! 

This month’s awesome co-hosts are Kristina Kelly, Miffie Seideman, Jean Davis, and Liza @ Middle Passages!  Go visit when you can. 

Optional Question: Have you "played" with AI to write those nasty synopses, or do you refuse to go that route? How do you feel about AI's impact on creative writing?

I have not played with AI, but am not against doing so. Like the internet, it’s a tool to be used as intended. Right now, I see it as a generator of ideas based on what a human has requested, but there is certainly more to come. As yet, I don’t think that artificial intelligence can produce what the creative mind can produce, as a complete package, but it’s coming. 

With that being said, there is a dangerous element to building on AI's expertise, I think. Hey, I’ve watched movies where AI has taken over the world. I mean, it could happen. 😎 Don’t turn your back on it. 

How about you? What are your thoughts on AI? Is there a place for it in the writer’s world.  


Comments

Nancy Gideon said…
What you said, Teresa! As a tool, it's fine within the scope of its intended use - proofing, spellchecking, offering alternative suggestions. But creating text . . . Naw! Why would I let a machine do what my professional editors would never think of doing.
Fundy Blue said…
I think AI is fine in some uses, like editing, but I don't think it's good for creative writing. Enjoy IWSG Day, Theresa!
Carol Kilgore said…
I don't know enough about today's real AI to be comfortable enough to use it for anything. I don't believe I will ever use it write a novel or even a book description. For me, novels are human things. Like you, I've seen those movies!
Hi Teresa - AI is to be taken with a pinch of salt I'd say and a lot of common sense needed by the reader/listener/ 'looker or scanner of articles' ... true or not - a sensible judgement is required. I won't spend time or agony of tears worrying too much about it, but I'm always interested - cheers Hilary
My physics final in high school was a story about AI using quantum computing to take over the world (I had to use real physics in the paper, but my teacher was awesome for letting me write the paper instead of taking the test). So anyway, I've been thinking about that aspect for a long time. ;)
I'm using AI as a sort of writing assistant right now. The "industry experts" that I follow recommended writers try to incorporate AI or possibly get left behind. I don't know if I think writers *would* get left behind, but I'm not opposed to having it play a part in my writing day.

Popular Posts