July IWSG: Writing Tools


If I said the typewriter is my favorite writing tool, would you believe me? It's not! To see what I use for writing, keep reading. 

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is the creation of science fiction writer Alex J. Cavanaugh. You can find his books here. He started the IWSG, “To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!”  The IWSG’s website offers resources and a support group. Join the blog hop the first Wednesday of each month here

 

The awesome cohosts for July are JS Pailly, Rebecca Douglass, Pat Garcia, Louise-Fundy Blue, and Natalie Aguirre!

Optional question(s): What are your favorite writing processing (e.g. Word, Scrivener, yWriter, Dabble), writing apps, software, and tools? Why do you recommend them? And which one is your all time favorite that you cannot live without and use daily or at least whenever you write?


😎 I have been writing a long time. When I  began writing my stories, I wrote them on legal pads. After that, I bought an old manual typewriter, followed by two electrics. 


I’ve used Microsoft Word for years to write my stories, but it wasn’t the first word processing application that I used. The first was WordPerfect, which was very popular in the 1980s and 1990s. I took my first computer class in 1983 on a Tandy. Later, I learned how to use word processing programs. This meant no more typewriters!

 

To help with lightly editing my stories, I use the free version of ProWritingAid. I recommended it to my writing club writers because it’s free and seems to catch surface typos. I've considered trying Scrivener, but haven't. 

 

Let's not forget how therapeutic writing with paper and pen is for the soul. Once in a while, I will write a story with paper and pen. It’s makes me happy. What tools do you use to write?


Happy Independence Day, tomorrow, people of the U.S.A. Tomorrow is also my son's birthday, so you know what I'll be doing! Burning up a cake with candles!



 

Comments

Happy birthday to your boy - and happy Independence Day. On the rare occasions I write I use Word.
Natalie Aguirre said…
Have fun with your son tomorrow! I remember the days of writing on legal pads and typewriters. I used to write everything out on a legal pad for my job as a lawyer and then have my secretary type it. It's inconceivable to do that now.
Happy independence day! I'm one of those people who really wish if they could get a chance to type on a typewriter. I think it's cool but everyone thinks the opposite(I know that is because I don’t know). I'm only 14 if you're wondering why I haven't had a chance to type on a typewriter. Have a great day:)
Happy birthday to your son! When he was young, did he think the fireworks were all for him?
Hope your son has a wonderful birthday!

I remember Word Perfect well! I use ProWriting Aid, too. Scrivener and I didn't work out.
Hi Teresa - how sensible of your son ... an exceptional birthday celebrated by one and all and each year!! Learning to type was considered so low key decades ago - now I'm so glad I had that skill and was thus able to adapt into the computer age quite easily. Actually it was a little tricky ... South Africa was ahead of Britain, so when I returned I had to use 'software' that I'd never used and I struggled to understand - not easy! Cheers Hilary

Popular Posts