September IWSG: Writer's Block



For many years and each morning before my day began in the world, I wrote—until I quit writing.

 The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is the creation of science fiction writer Alex J. Cavanaugh. You can find his books here. He started the IWSG, “To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!”  The IWSG’s website offers resources and a support group. Join the blog hop the first Wednesday of each month here

 

The awesome cohosts for September are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!


Optional question(s): Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

 

Although, I can’t remember experiencing writer’s block, a few months ago, for about a week and without warning, my need to write—paused. I said things like:

 

I don’t feel like writing. 

 

Nothing is coming forward in my brain to write. 

 

Why am I wasting my time writing when I am not doing anything with them?

 

The only other time I didn’t write was the day my brother died, actually two days. Understandable. Since writing has always been a ‘release’ for me in good times and bad, I returned to my writing habit.

 

A few months ago, for about a week, maybe two, I experience my version of writer’s block. It was not severe. It was not for a long period of time, but it was real and scary. 

·      I was not excited to write.

·      I couldn’t think of words, let alone sentences. 

·      I couldn’t stay seated. 

·      My mind seemed blank of stories.

 

Here’s how I overcame:

 

1.     I allowed myself to not write without freaking out and feeling negative for as long as I needed. 

2.    I made lists of the bouncing things troubling my brain. You know, life things. Writing those down always helps me. A clear mind is more productive.

3.    Once free of the brain garbage, I wrote by hand a bunch of scenes for a frontier/western book I would like to write about a strong young woman escaping her stepmother and a servitude lifestyle. I mean, my characters lined up to spill their guts. Also, there is something about writing on paper that feels good. 

4.    Finally, I pulled a short story that had been sitting for years in storage (file), dusted it off and rewrote it. 

 

Lessons learned

 

You can refrain from writing for whatever length of time you choose and be okay. If you love writing and want to return, then you must find your way back. If your desire to write is gone, then don’t write unless you’ve signed a contract to write. 😅 Then you might want to write that book.

Comments

Natalie Aguirre said…
I totally agree with you that it's okay not to write if you don't feel like it and don't have a contract. I go through those periods all the time.

I write articles every day for my job. I have to write them no matter what because I have deadlines to meet and want to get paid. For that type of writing, it's easy to just tell myself I have to do it and get going on it.
As farmers let their fields go fallow for a season, I believe so do we writers. My way of overcoming the inertia of writer's block was to post a chapter at a time on my blog. My latest such novel is THE GIRL WITH SILVER EYES. It is an interesting experiment.
https://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2024/09/the-common-enemy-of-man-chapter-fifteen.html
Mary Aalgaard said…
I'm glad you found your way back to writing, doing something that you love. Sometimes, a pause is necessary.
I am so glad you found a way back to writing.
I've taken breaks also. Sometimes after I finished a tough scene and then I do brain work to plot out what comes next.
Hi Teresa ... as you've just seen ... I've switched away for a while ... but I do need to write regardless ... and I can understand your need to stop - that must have been very sad ... with thoughts - Hilary

Popular Posts