Sunday Reflection: Comfort


Despair is real in this life, and answers do not come easily. Yet in the darkness—as we remember God’s glory, majesty, power, and love—our despair can slowly subside.” Dave Branon

Dave Branon lost his teenaged daughter a few years ago. Sadly, I have many friends who have lost children. One of my good friends lost both of her children. Losing those we love is devastating!

“ 'I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands, and I would not be comforted.

I remembered you, God, and I groaned; I meditated, and my spirit grew faint. You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak.'

When life shattering things happen to Christians, all eyes are on us to see what we will do, to see what God will do. We wonder, too.

"I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night. My heart meditated and my spirit asked:

'Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
Has his promise failed for all time?
Has God forgotten to be merciful?
Has he in anger withheld his compassion?'”

There are good things about the world, but in general, this world is a swirling mess of chaos, where horrible things happen to (good and bad) people—sometimes by chance, sometimes inflicted by others.

"Then I thought, 'To this I will appeal: the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.' ”

God doesn’t always spare his children grief or despair, but what he does do is wrap his spiritual arms around us and by his power and love, we gain strength again to put one foot in front of the other.

And there is a bigger picture that is beyond this world. We are being prepared for God's eternal Kingdom.

"Your ways, God, are holy." Psalm 77:1-13 (NIV) (emphasis mine)

Blessings,
Teresa

All scripture today is from Psalm 77, Holy Bible, gateway.com

Comments

A very comforting post, Teresa! Thanks for this.
He is there with us and has prepared us ahead of time to go through the tough times.
Pat Hatt said…
Losing a child would have to be the worst thing ever
JoJo said…
But here is what I don't understand. My friend Catherine's husband died last night or this morning. She's been pouring her heart out in prayers on FB begging god for a miracle. Instead she's a widow. This is why I have a really hard time believing. Where was god? Why did he abandon her and not hear her prayers? She's been in the hospital too and has literally lost the will to live now.
Cheryl @ TFD said…
A wonderful post! Thank you.
Jo, this has been your question before. I'm not the authority on why God does this or that, but I know that when I pray it changes me, the way I deal, the way I step forward. I do know that this life is super flawed and corrupt. I believe God's reasoning is way above our understanding. He is more concerned with our refinement, that prepares us for the perfect world ahead (that God intended for us in the beginning) before we (people) chose to follow sin. The best answer I have is that the Bible says that in "this world" we will have trouble, but in the end God has overcome the world, meaning there will come a time when God will show victory over evil and believers will no longer suffer. Our lives on this earth will never be perfect. It's hard to wrap our brain around, but the suffering we experience now is the result of the past. The new earth (heaven) is the future where there will be no more suffering--all things corrupt will no longer exist. There is much more I could say, but this is the short version. :) :)
JoJo said…
My heart's just breaking for my friend. And another friend lost her husband earlier this month. Way, way too soon. It's just so unfair.

But how do you know, like really KNOW, for sure that there is a heaven where we will exist on another plane with no suffering? How do you know that this life isn't all we get and when we're dead, that's it?

Popular Posts