IWSG: December 2020 - Productive Writing

I write nearly every day of every year. On rare occasions when I cannot, I feel like something is "off" in my day. I would venture to say that out 365 days, I write 363 days give or take a day or two. It's been my routine and habit for the last twenty-ish years to write (at least) a couple of hours each morning. These days, I write more than two hours each morning.

That was my answer to the December optional question: Are there months or times of the year that you are more productive with your writing than other months, and why? 

This post was written for the Insecure Writer's Support Group monthly blogging event created and brought to you by writer Alex J Cavanaugh Alex's awesome co-hosts for the  Pat Garcia, Sylvia Ney, Liesbet @ Roaming AboutCathrina Constantine, and Natalie Aguirre! Be sure to go visit these writers. 

Speaking of writing each day, I wrote (unofficially) during the NaNoWriMo event. In November, I wrote the first draft of Paper Nests. Some days, I had to write in the evening to catch up, but evening writing comes from a dull brain, so there was that. 

I don't want to sound like my best friend, Debbie Downer, BUT once again (like 2019) I stalled when I ran out of scenes to write. In October, I made the outline of scenes from the beginning of the story to the end. By the 20th day, I'd written through those scenes. So, I went ahead and finished the story. What did I do the other days? I started at the beginning and added more detail. Sometimes a new scene would show up, and I'd write it. The problem with writing over existing words is that you edit, read the words already written and this slowed down my writing. I wrote fewer new words. My word tally for November was only 35,701. I say UGH to that, and you may quote me to the Enquirer. 

I will continue with Paper Nests in December with hopes to finish my 50,000 word goal. 

What is your productive time to write? 

Comments

nashvillecats2 said…
Enjoyed the read. writing is most enjoyable to do,

Yvonne.
Good luck.
Writers are my heroes.
35,701 is awesome, even if you're under-goal! I'm just like you...if I don't write every day, regardless of the season, something feels off. Or the feeling you get when you realize you don't have your phone with you and you're out on an errand. Mild panic, ha.
Now that's dedication.
It does take longer when you are adding to existing words. I just did a lot of that last month.
Hi Teresa - well done - you've got in the habit and that's difficult to lose. Good for you and for working out what needs to be done with your present WIP - Paper Nests - love the title. All the best - Hilary
J Lenni Dorner said…
Some days are certainly more productive than others.
Patsy said…
Gosh! Great routine.

I do something writing related most days, but don't write every day.
Jemi Fraser said…
35k is awesome. I always figure it's more words than I started with!
Here's to a wonderful December and 2021!
Chrys Fey said…
Hey, 35,701 is a great word count to reach in one month. That's 35K you didn't have before. :) Good luck with your December goal. Happy Holidays!
Carol Kilgore said…
My most productive writing time is in the afternoon. Next is if I wake in the middle of the night with an idea. I've never done NaNo, but for the first time ever I actually wrote every day except for two during November.
Anne Higa said…
That is a really good writing practice. Good for you to keep it up year round!

Anne from annehiga.com
That's a great routine and habit to have! I wish I could stick to one so reliably.
Pat Hatt said…
Going at it every day, or at least close to it, is the way to be.
Anonymous said…
35,701 words is phenomonal! Carry on your success.
Liesbet said…
That's a pretty incredible word count. You've been busy writing... every day! And, you're almost finished with that novel. I get distracted by editing all the time. Each day I want to continue writing a chapter or scene, I can't help but reread/review and then edit the previous section. It's a clean first draft in the end, but not many words are added each day. My approach wouldn't be a good one for NaNoWriMo if I ever join!
Donna Hanton said…
It sounds like you have a wonderful writing habit. And well done on the NaNo word count.
cleemckenzie said…
That 35+K words isn't something to be ashamed of at all. I'd say it was darned good in light of all that's going on this world these days. Here's to reaching your 50K goal. Love the title of your story.
I think that's quite a healthy word count! I'm not really writing while doing schooling, but I did whip out 15,000 words one week in November, which was a high for me lately. It was to finish a specific thing in order to get back to schoolwork, though.
Nick Wilford said…
That's great that you're so consistent with your writing. I need to get to that. 35k is a lot more than I wrote last month, and I'm sure you'll have no trouble hitting 50k before year is out. Congrats!

Popular Posts