August IWSG: Conflicted Writing

Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? Did you leave it alone, remove, or rewrite it? 


It's that time again to gather together as writers and blog about our writing insecurities. The following post was written for the IWSG monthly blogging event created by author Alex J Cavanaugh. Alex's awesome co-hosts for this month are Kate Larkinsdale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence! Please visit Alex and our cohosts. 


The intro above is also this month’s optional question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?


Absolutely! I’ve done all of the above. As writers we are free to think and write what stews in our brain. However, just like when I tell myself that everything I think does not need to be said, the same might need to apply to writing stories. 


One book I COULD NOT HAVE WRITTEN was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I think it’s a well-written story, but it did haunt me a while.


Also, when animals are harmed in a story, I can’t handle that either. I know, I know. There is Bambi. The first of a lifetime of hard stories. Somebody had to write them. 


Teresa  

Comments

I believe that conflicted writers often create a better story. Like you, I struggle when animals are hurt - to the extent that my partner has instructions that if he is giving me an animal book he is to read the last few pages to ensure they survive.
I'm not killing an animal either.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I totally agree that we don't have to say everything we think or what our characters might think.
Being at odds within ourselves is what makes us human. To write characters that are the same way hopefully makes them relatable and realistic. I refused to watch the movie, Hildago, until my friend told me that the horse lived at the end! :-) https://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2023/08/why-writing-in-crosshairs-iwsg-post.html
Hi Teresa - there are things I couldn't write ... occasionally I'll do something a bit odd - which is totally fan-fiction based on a prompt - I just try and write something I'd be happy to read. Take care and happy writing - cheers Hilary
I'm such a sensitive reader! Bambi just about killed me. I don't hurt animals in my stories. My readers don't care about murders, but if I harmed an animal in a book, I'm sure I'd hear about it!
I agree with you. I can't write or read a story where I child is harmed. When I read the book, Bambi, I was in elementary school and had never seen the movie. The book was even harsher.

Popular Posts